Mocha honey pastry:
2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of instant coffee
125 g butter
1/2 cup honey
1 small egg
500 g cream cheese
1/2 cup honey
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup custard powder
2 tablespoons coffee-flavoured liqueur (e.g. Kahlua) (optional)
300 g sour cream, whipped
125 g dark cooking chocolate, melted
Freshly whipped cream and grated chocolate, for serving
- Make pastry by sifting dry ingredients into a bowl. Rub in butter then work in beaten honey and egg mixture to form a firm dough.
- Wrap mixture in plastic wrap and refrigerate for I hour. Roll pastry out and line the lightly buttered base and sides of a deep 25 cm loose-bottom flan pan.
- Bake pastry shell blind at 200°C for 10 minutes, remove blind weights, pierce base with a skewer then continue baking at 190°C for a further 10 minutes. Allow pastry to cool before filling.
- To make filling, beat cream cheese and honey together until smooth and creamy, then beat in egg yolks, custard powder and liqueur (if used).
- Fold in whipped sour cream and stiffly beaten egg whites, then pour mixture into cool pastry shell and swirl melted chocolate through.
- Place cheesecake on a baking tray and bake at 170°C for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool and set before removing from flan pan. Serve topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Serves 8 to 10